This page explains how www.greenerscotland.org uses any information you give to us, and the ways in which we protect your privacy.
1 Who we are
Greener Scotland is a website run by the Scottish Government, providing information on how to live a greener lifestyle and connecting people with Home Energy Scotland, a Scottish Government programme managed by the Energy Saving Trust.
1.1 The Scottish Government is the devolved government for Scotland and had its headquarters at St Andrew’s House, Regent Road, Edinburgh EH1 3DG.
1.2 Energy Saving Trust manages Home Energy Scotland on behalf of the Scottish Government, with its Scotland office at Ocean Point 1, 94 Ocean Drive, Edinburgh, EH6 6JH.
2 How we use your information
This privacy statement explains how the Greener Scotland website collects and uses personal information about you to provide you with services. In general terms, Greener Scotland collects and uses personal information about you:
- to provide you with services, activities or online content, to provide you with information about them and to deal with your requests and enquiries;
- to provide you with the most user-friendly online navigation experience;
- for "service administration purposes", which means that Greener Scotland and / or Home Energy Scotland (managed by Energy Saving Trust) may contact you for reasons related to the service, activity or online content you have signed up for, as set out in section 2.7
- where we provide personalised services, we may analyse the information you supply, as well as your activity on our (and other) services, so that we can offer a more relevant, tailored service. For instance, if you are signed-in to My Greener Plan or subscribed to email newsletters, you will receive a personalised service. If you don’t want to receive these services, you can log out of My Greener Plan and unsubscribe from email newsletters.
- we may also show you relevant advertising on third party sites, as set out in section 2.4 - 2.5
- to use IP addresses and device identifiers to identify the general location (country or city) of users to block disruptive use, and to establish the number of visits from different countries;
- for analysis and research purposes so that we may improve the services offered by Greener Scotland. This can include using geo-demographic information from external sources, where this helps us ensure we are making something for everyone;
- we may also use and disclose information in aggregate (so that no individuals are identified) for marketing and strategic development purposes;
2.1 We collect from you when you:
- visit our website (including cookies, IP addresses, hostnames and search engine)
- use our social media channels (Twitter, Instagram and Facebook)
- use Greener Scotland Applications (‘App’)
- subscribe to our newsletter (we collect your name, email address and interests)
- complete surveys
- use our interactive tools e.g. Home Energy Housebuilder, My Greener Plan
- request a callback from a Home Energy Scotland advisor
- provide any personal information by phone, email, in letters and other correspondence and in person
- request access to your personal information
Where Greener Scotland proposes using your personal information for any other uses we will ensure that we notify you first. Please see section 2.1 above for details.
Greener Scotland may also share your personal information with Home Energy Scotland, operated by the Energy Saving Trust (see section 1) to enable them to do any of these things.
2.2 Links to Third Party Websites
2.3 Google Analytics & DoubleClick
At an advertiser's discretion, Google Analytics data may be examined in concert with data about Greener Scotland ads that have been shown using the Google Display Network or DoubleClick for Advertisers. Thus, Greener Scotland can understand how anonymous users interacted with the advertiser's website after seeing Greener Scotland ads.
Greener Scotland may use this data to inform and optimise our ad campaigns.
Users may opt out of the DoubleClick cookie by visiting the Google advertising opt-out page or visitors may opt out of our use of Analytics by visiting the Google Analytics Opt-out page.
2.4 Google Analytics & Remarketing
Third party vendors, including Google, may show Greener Scotland ads on sites on the internet.
We may also use analytics data to serve ads based on a user's prior visits to our website, as well as to develop remarketing lists for customised campaigns (Remarketing Lists for Search Ads).
2.5 Social media
Greener Scotland uses a variety of social media channels and any data captured by Greener Scotland via these channels will be done so with your consent.
Social channels we use can be found below:
When you download, or use Greener Scotland apps on your mobile device, information may be accessed from or stored to your device. Most often this is used in a similar way to a web browser cookie, such as by enabling the app to ‘remember’ you or provide you with the content you have requested.
Your web browser or device may also provide Greener Scotland with information about your device, such as a device identifier or IP address. Device identifiers may be collected automatically, such as the device ID, IP address, MAC address, IMEI number and app ID (a unique identifier relating to the particular copy of the app you are running).
When you sign in to a Greener Scotland app, your sign-in details may be stored securely on the device you are using, so you can access other Greener Scotland apps on the same device without needing to enter your sign-in details again.
If you have any concerns about the information which might be accessed from or stored on your device by Greener Scotland, you may wish to only access Greener Scotland content through a web browser and review your web browser settings.
You can register for a Greener Scotland electronic newsletter on this website www.greenerscotland.org. The information we collect is your name, email address and your interests (if selected). This information is stored to allow us to contact you on a regular basis with information you might find useful, including offers from partner organisations. Each communication contains an option to unsubscribe which is instant. Upon unsubscribing your data will be deleted and Greener Scotland will no longer contact you.
2.8 Interactive Tools
When you use an interactive tool on Greener Scotland we will collect information to provide you with personalised results and make recommendations. The Greener Scotland website has two interactive tools:
- My Greener Plan
- Home Energy Housebuilder
If you have registered for My Greener Plan, the information Greener Scotland collects is your name, email address and responses to questions you have provided. This information is stored to allow Greener Scotland to understand who is interested in taking action to create a greener Scotland and so that you can access your account on return visits to the Greener Scotland website. A copy of this information is kept securely by Greener Scotland and our technology suppliers, and will be held until such a time you inform Greener Scotland otherwise. This information is also stored on back-up tapes to avoid loss of data.
If you complete the Home Energy Housebuilder the information we collect is your name, postcode, telephone number and email address. We may also collect property details (such as number of rooms, heat sources, improvements) and data such as benefit status, age and energy saving priorities, if you choose to supply it. This information is passed from Greener Scotland to the Energy Saving Trust who deliver the Home Energy Scotland advice service on behalf of the Scottish Government. Home Energy Scotland is collecting your information so that they can, with your consent, contact you by phone or email to provide advice and support to reduce your energy bills.
A copy of this information will be kept securely by the Energy Saving Trust and held until such time you inform the Energy Saving Trust otherwise. The information you enter in the Home Energy Housebuilder tool is not stored by Greener Scotland after being passed to Energy Saving Trust and will not be shared with third parties. We will never use your contact details for marketing purposes unless specified by you.
2.9 Requesting a callback
When you complete the Home Energy Scotland callback form on the Greener Scotland website we collect your name, telephone number, postal address, email address and details of your enquiry, if you choose to supply it.
3 When will Greener Scotland and / or Home Energy Scotland contact me?
3.1 Greener Scotland and / or Home Energy Scotland may contact you:
- in relation to any service, activity or online content to ensure that Greener Scotland and / or Home Energy Scotland can deliver the services
- in relation to any correspondence we receive from you or any comment or complaint you make about Greener Scotland and / or Home Energy Scotland products or services;
- in relation to any personalised services you are using: e.g. email newsletter
- to invite you to participate in surveys about Greener Scotland services (participation is always voluntary);
- to update you on any material changes to Greener Scotland’s policies and practices; and
- for marketing purposes, as set out in section 2
Please be cautious if you receive any emails or calls from people asking for this information and claiming to be from Greener Scotland and / or Home Energy Scotland.
3.2 Personal information you provide by phone, email, in letters and other correspondence and in person
When you phone Home Energy Scotland
The Home Energy Scotland call operator might ask for some personal information in relation to your query. Home Energy Scotland will retain this information until they have responded to your call. Then they will destroy the information.
When you email Greener Scotland
Any records we create after responding to your email will be destroyed once the email is sent.
When you write a letter to Greener Scotland
Greener Scotland will only retain the information necessary to respond to your letter. This will be no longer than 7 working days.
3.3 Will I be contacted for marketing purposes?
Greener Scotland will only send you marketing emails or contact you on Greener Scotland platforms where you have agreed to this.
We may personalise the message content based upon any information you have provided to us and your use of Greener Scotland platforms.
We may use information which we hold about you to show you relevant advertising on third party sites (e.g. Facebook, Google, and Twitter). This could involve showing you an advertising message where we know you have used Greener Scotland products and services. If you don’t want to be shown targeted advertising messages from Greener Scotland, some partners and third-party sites allow you to request not to see messages from specific advertisers on that site in future.
3.4 Can I delete my data?
You can always request to delete personal information Greener Scotland holds on you.
To proceed email email@example.com to request deletion.
Deleting your records from Greener Scotland datasets will erase any personal information we have about you and it will mean any data we hold about how you have used Greener Scotland will be made anonymous.
3.5 Can I find out what personal information Greener Scotland holds about me?
You can find out if we hold any personal information on you by making a ‘subject access request’ under the Data Protection Act 1998 or GDPR. If we do hold information about you we will:
- Provide you with a description of it;
- Tell you why we are holding it and how long for.
3.6 Your rights
Under the Data Protection Act 1998 and the General data protection regulations (GDPR), you have rights as an individual which you can exercise in relation to the information we hold about you.
You can read more about these rights here - https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation-gdpr/individual-rights/
In addition, if you believe that the data we hold is inaccurate or incomplete you can ask us to update our records. If you are unhappy with the way in which we process your personal data you can request that we stop or restrict the processing we complete using your personal data or ask us to delete the personal data we hold about you.
In some circumstances we may not be able to comply with your request. This is because some of these rights are conditional and can only be applied in certain circumstances and/or where there is no compelling reason to continue to process your personal data.
Data Protection Officer
You can also report any concerns here: https://ico.org.uk/concerns/handling/
4 Changes to Greener Scotland’s Privacy Statement
We keep our Privacy Statement under regular review. This Policy was last updated on 22 May 2018.
4.1 Contacting Greener Scotland about this Privacy Statement
If you have any questions or comments about this Privacy Statement, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Greener Scotland seeks to resolve directly all complaints about how it handles personal information. If you feel we have been unable, or unwilling, to resolve your information rights concern, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO). The ICO are the supervisory authority responsible for data protection in the UK.
For further information, including independent data protection advice and information in relation to your rights, you can contact the Information Commissioner at:
The Information Commissioner
Tel: 08456 30 60 60
Website - https://ico.org.uk/concerns